Individualized answers for our patients’ unique weight management needs.
Clinical studies have shown that individuals who follow a genetically appropriate diet lose weight more easily. With DNA Insight Healthy Weight, our patients have a personalized and holistic view of their health and may finally be able to:
- Achieve a more desirable weight
- Manage potential health conditions
- Understand which medications may or may not be right for them
Based on a saliva sample, our DNA Insight tests a variety of genes that influence response to diet, metabolism and exercise. It also assesses the propensity to develop certain health conditions and likely response to specific medications.
Results are returned in just 2 – 3 weeks!
DNA Insight is a comprehensive test aimed at assisting in treating overweight patients. It tests for a variety of genetic markers that influence diet, metabolism and exercise- related traits, as well as a number of health conditions and response to certain medications.
DNA Insight may help:
- Develop a patient-specific weight management plan
- Maximize energy levels
- Promote improvement in overall health and wellness
DNA Insight provides information on the following:
Weight and Diet Weight can be influenced by many genes. The way we eat, how our bodies process foods, and our resulting health are all related to our genetics.
- Genetic risk for decreased adiponectin
- Genetic risk for decreased omega-6 and omega-3
- Matching diet type
- Response to monounsaturated fats
- Response to polyunsaturated fats
- Weight loss-regain
Eating Behaviors Eating behaviors can have as much of an impact on our health as our diet. Some eating behaviors are learned over time and some are influenced by genetics.
- Eating disinhibition
- Food desire
- Satiety – feeling full
- Sweet tooth
Metabolic Health Factors Being overweight or obese is linked to many health conditions. Obesity has a negative impact on a person’s metabolic system, and obese individuals often have decreased levels of HDL (good)cholesterol and elevated levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol, as well as elevated blood sugar and triglycerides.
- Genetic risk for decreased HDL cholesterol
- Genetic risk for elevated LDL cholesterol
- Genetic risk for elevated triglycerides
Exercise Response Exercise has long been shown to provide many health benefits. Many studies demonstrate a link between genetics and exercise. A patient’s genes can affect the patient’s chances of losing weight, having improved cholesterol levels, and other health benefits in response to exercise.
- HDL cholesterol response to exercise
- Endurance training
- Insulin sensitivity response to exercise
Nutritional Needs Vitamins are an important part of your health. Our test analyzes genetic markers associated with one’s likelihood of having lower levels of certain antioxidants and nutrients.
- Genetic risk for decreased folate
- Genetic risk for decreased vitamin A
- Genetic risk due to decreased vitamin B2
- Genetic risk for decreased vitamin B6
- Genetic risk for decreased vitamin B12
- Genetic risk for decreased vitamin C
- Genetic risk for decreased vitamin D
- Genetic risk for increased vitamin E
Health Conditions Weight is directly related to a number of health conditions, some of which can be prevented with proper diet, nutrition and exercise.
- Diabetes, type 2
- Venous thrombosis
Medication Response Every individual is unique. Medications can have varying levels of effectiveness, as well as different side-effects for each patient. A genetic test will assist in determining whether or not your patient is likely to benefit from certain drugs.
- Aminoglycoside-induced hearing loss
- Clopidogrel metabolism (Plavix)
- Estrogen supplementation
- Methotrexate toxicity
- Simvastatin-induced myopathy